Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bethlehem Steel [Wooden] Bench Work

Progress today on the bench work. I was able to assemble the end piece of the peninsula from four existing modules and switch out legs on a module to shorten it for water, piers and ships at the Bethlehem Steel Shipyard area of the layout. I also constructed a triangular module (hiding in lower-middle left of photo poking up behind a backdrop board) that will create the transition connection between the wall modules and the 45 degree peninsula. I realized after making the 3' right triangle module, that I should have made it in two pieces so I can lower one side. I think I can take a pass at with the circular saw to get that accomplished. A shame, because the angles were cut really well and it came together so easily.
Bethlehem Steel area. The lower sections will be water, piers and ships. Nice geometric arrangement of the modules. The unconnected module upper middle right doesn't belong there. It will be used as a pier module at Holland America.

Another view. The portion jutting out towards us will be the tail track for switching at Bethlehem. I just noticed that the latest track plan has a mistake here at Bethlehem regarding this track. The pier tracks should be trailing points from this tail track and not the runaround as shown.


The glass door and balcony will remain accessible, but I will devise a portable backdrop for modeling photography when that time comes...
Assembling the end modules provided a satisfying visceral appreciation for the domino type construction method. Being able to play with the configuration of the smaller pieces allowed me to think physically for a brief moment about the layout that I had not yet experienced. This actually led to a bit of a rush starting to think about how to position the buildings and having sections of big ships dwarfing the 44 tonners who will be scurrying around the shipyard. Interesting feeling that I haven't felt in a long time since I haven't been making things on a regular basis for quite awhile. Hopefully a portend of more good feelings to come.

I must say, also, that the geometry of the bench work itself is actually very satisfying visually. Good composition that reminds me of a [better] version of the Chase Manhattan Bank logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment